Thursday, December 24, 2009

Can you save more water by using the dishwasher for plates or by washing by hand?

Say, there's 5 people in the house and they all eat breakfast and dinner. Would they be using up more water if they use the dishwasher once at the end of the day or would it be more economical to wash stuff by hand?Can you save more water by using the dishwasher for plates or by washing by hand?
A German study concludes according to TreeHugger: ';The Bonn study proves that the dishwasher uses only half the energy and one-sixth of the water, less soap too. Even the most sparing and careful washers could not beat the modern dishwasher.'; The diswasher on average uses 1/6 of the water, 1/2 the energy and less soap. Oh and also ';The study also rated the cleanliness achieved, again in favor of the washing machine (sorry grandma).';





Using a dishwasher may emit slightly more CO2 however, but I don't have source for that. It makes sense since they use electricity too.Can you save more water by using the dishwasher for plates or by washing by hand?
If I remember correctly, I believe it was from the Tightwad Gazette, you actually save more water using a dishwasher. They are made to be very efficient now-a-days. Two more advantages besides water conservation is that you'll save time and avoid getting dishpan hands.
I have a dishwasher that attaches to the sink and if I were to plug the sink before the dishwasher runs, one side of the sink will fill to the top (a regular sized double basin sink). That is both wash and rinse. I know I would use more water myself in this situation if I were to do it by hand just by the rinse water alone. We have three people in the family, so it may differ with more. We run ours once a day.
I have a dishwasher and don't use it very often because it uses so much hot water. When I do use it, I fill the sink with hot water and rinse the dishes, then load them, and since the water is already hot from rinsing the dishes that saves on the heating the water bill. I usually try to wash a few dishes as I go along if I'm cooking a big meal for company. Hope this info helps you alittle.
No i have 5 people in my house and i fill the dishwasher to capacity every nite and run it while we are in bed, and i love it, all of my family except me is sick so that is why ilike the dishwasher and i think u save money by running the dishwasher once a nite then washing dishes three or four times a day... besides i hate dishwashing and only do it if i need the plate or cup before the next morning...
If the dishwasher is full that is the most efficient use of water. soap and electricity.
by hand i believe since the dishwasher rinses the dishes many times that aren't really necessary
I think if you use your dishwasher ';properly'; you can NOT only save time/money. I LOVE having a dishwasher I have 2 small children/husband and I load it all day and only run it on a full load on time delay.. So, it uses hot water that normally isn't used at 3 or 4 am ! I think as long as you run it when it's absolutely full you should be okay.. I run mine every other day or so.. Hand wash delicate, crystal or non-stick pans. I also have learned that by using only one main appliance at a time you can cut your electric bill in half.. For example: I will run only my washer and when the dryer is running I'm soaking the next load.. Or I wash a load of clothes before bed and put them in the dryer the next morning.. That helps a lot as well. As well as only running full loads of wash/dry or simply hanging items to dry. My normal bill of $114 for electric went down by half doing this method.. Try it ! Good luck.
The dishwasher is the winner as long as you do not rinse the dishes in the sink first.

No comments:

Post a Comment